Home > The hotel
History of the hotel
A bit of history.
Le Vert Galant is located on the emplacement of the Château de Fouquet de la Varenne, destroyed after the Revolution, of which one wing is still visible nearby (public parking space facing the outbuilding). The hotel used to be a coaching inn, held by Louise d’Estournelles de Constant during the second third of the 19th century. It is also the birth home of Paul d’Estournelles de Constant, her grandson, who received the Nobel Prize for peace in 1909.
At the start of the 20th century, Eugène ROUSSE holds a grocery shop at the same location. In 1920, the cinema Le Palace is created by M. Louis Paris, at the back of the courtyard. Mr. PRAT (son) buys the place in 1925 to make it his home, while the shop houses the first Peugeot garage of La Flèche, between 1932 and 1934. At this time, father PRAT, who already owned the cinema, opens the hotel and restaurant. In 1938 Le Vert Galant is sold to Mr. KOSTINGER who manages the place until 1960.
From 1960 to 1978, Mr. Gérard CHAMPION becomes the owner of the hotel, followed by his son, Jean-Marie BERGER CHAMPION, until 2004. In 1986, the cinema Le Palace closes after the roof fell down because of the weight of snow.
The renovation of the hotel starts in 2004. The restaurant closes and Le Vert Galant will become a hotel. Since June 2005, after 10 months of works, Le Vert Galant offers 21 rooms as well as many facilities and services as you can discover today. During the year 2006, the quality of the services allows the hotel to obtain the label of "qualité-tourisme". In March 2007, the hotel gets its 3rd star. In 2011, LE VERT GALANT is sold to Mr. and Mrs. CHOISNET, who continue the same quality of welcoming as the previous owners. New extension works are undertaken in 2012, with four new rooms, taking the number of rooms to 26.